Happy birthday to me... now what?
ßinkmån
2004-11-13 05:32:02 UTC
Dear alt.beer,
Just signed up tonight to get some advice. I turned 21 in September and,
naturally, persued my newfound legal ability to imbibe drinks of an
alchoholic nature. Unfortunately I am unimpressed so far and I am looking
for help. I've only had a couple of beers and most, I think were microbrews.
A friend of mine had me try what he described as a "wheat" beer and it
didn't go over well. I bought a six-pack of Budweiser recently thinking,
"It's popular, it must be good." I can't take more than three drinks from a
bottle. Is there anyone I can turn to for help without spending hundreds of
dollars finding a beer that doesn't make me gag?

Thanks in advance!
Binkman
Scott
2004-11-13 05:21:30 UTC
You are describing a fairly common experience when people try American lager
for the first time. And many beer drinkers don't care for wheat beer. I
didn't much like beer until I moved to Germany where I fell in love with the
stuff.

Typically you will find better tasting beer on-tap than served from a can,
also a lot of microbreweries or brewpubs have a "sampler" on the menu where
you get 4 or 6 small glasses of different beers to taste. Give it time, for
some it is an acquired taste.

Cheers! Scott
Binkman
Jim Wild
2004-11-16 23:30:55 UTC
Popular, must be good.......? That is a big misconception in America.
Popular beer like Miller, Bud, Coors, ect.... are terribly nasty. If you
want to taste a good beer, they are out there. Not just micro-brews.
Micro-brews might be an acquired taste. I recommend trying a Sierra
Nevada pale ale. If you want a good dark, drink a Guniness (sp)? What to
start off averagly good.... Molson Ice is good. Sam Adams is Great!

Try these beers along with food and you will be a beer fan. Try the Sam
Adams with a fat resteraunt style burger. Try Molson with anything
or,,,,, crackers&sharp cheddar with a splub of yellow mustard. Believe
it or not. Try that one first. Wine and food or beer and food have the
same taste excitement. It's all how the bitter clashes with the other
tastes in your mouth.

My favorite beer companies of all time are Rogue, Anchor, Sam Adams and
Sierra Nevada.

Jim
Jeffrey Kaplan
2004-11-13 07:28:59 UTC
Begin ßinkmån quote:

; Just signed up tonight to get some advice. I turned 21 in September and,
; naturally, persued my newfound legal ability to imbibe drinks of an
; alchoholic nature. Unfortunately I am unimpressed so far and I am looking
; for help. I've only had a couple of beers and most, I think were microbrews.
; A friend of mine had me try what he described as a "wheat" beer and it
; didn't go over well. I bought a six-pack of Budweiser recently thinking,

When I was "just legal", I preferred wheats and pilsners. Now, while I
still like a good pils, I find I have no taste for the wheats anymore.

; "It's popular, it must be good." I can't take more than three drinks from a

Just because something is popular, doesn't make it good. It just makes
it popular. About the only good thing about Bud is it's cheap. That
is also a large part of what's bad about it, too. I've been to their
brewery in NH. Big, clean, industrial, and no soul whatsoever. Their
brewing is a purely technical process, calculated to be as inoffensive
as possible, which results in an incredibly bland product in taste,
appearance and alcohol content.

Sprite has more body than Bud. My mouthwash has a better flavor, and
probably more alcohol.

; bottle. Is there anyone I can turn to for help without spending hundreds of
; dollars finding a beer that doesn't make me gag?

Are you still in college? With your email address/domain, I can name a
few places down the street and/or otherwise local to your main campus.
In no particular order:

Cornwalls. In Kenmore Square roughly across from the bus station on
the westbound side (McDonalds is on the far side of the square). This
is an English style pub with English and English style beers, mostly
ales.

Boston Beer Works. On Brookline Ave across from Fenway Park. American
brewpub with great beers made on the premise and great food. (There's
another BBW near North Station, too. The Kenmore one is first and
better.)

Bukowski's. Beer bar on Dalton Street, near the Hynes Convention
Center and the Sheraton. An amazing selection of beers on tap and even
more in bottles, encompassing damn near every kind of alcoholic
beverage made with barley and/or hops.

Coolidge Corner Clubhouse. On the northbound side of Harvard Street in
Coolidge Corner, Brookline, north of Beacon Street. More of a sedate
sports club bar with about 30 different +good+ beers on tap and very
decent food. (When I worked nights in Coolidge Corner, I'd frequently
order dinner, but no beer, from there.)

Anam Cara. Westbound side of Beacon Street, Washington Square,
Brookline. Irish style pub with beers from all over.

Redbones. Chester Street, Davis Square, Somerville. The food is
Southern barbeque, and the beer selection is eclectic from the "usual
suspects" to imported Belgians.

Cambridge Brewing. 1 Kendal Sq, Cambridge. An American brewpub. OK
food, good to great beers.

In all of these places, and anywhere else for that matter, if you tell
the bartender that you are new to beer and tell him/her what you found
so far that you like or dislike, you should get some good advice on
what to try.

And as Scott also said, go for samplers, so you can try several smaller
amounts of different beers. Samplers will generally cost a little more
than "one beer", but you'll get anywhere from four to eight(!)
different items to try. When doing samplers, a good way to try them is
in order from lightest to heaviest, otherwise if you try a stout before
a pils, you won't taste the pils at all.
--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"It's a Naval tradition." "Well, so is keel-hauling. But right now we
should focus on accommodations." (Cmdr. Worf and Odo, ST:DS9
"Rapture")
Russ Perry Jr
2004-11-13 18:13:37 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Kaplan
I bought a six-pack of Budweiser recently thinking, "It's
popular, it must be good."
Just because something is popular, doesn't make it good.
It just makes it popular. About the only good thing about
Bud is it's cheap.
But there are cheaper beers too. I've never understood the
middle ground. If Bud doesn't taste much better than the
cheap beers, and doesn't cose much less than good beers,
why does it even exist? Is the middle of the road crowd
THAT much in the middle? I can understand when it's a
sliding scale, and each increase in price matches an increase
in quality, but that just isn't the case here (or with Panda
Express, but that's a whole 'nother thing).

As to Binkman's original dilemna, I should note that it's
quite possible that he may -- zounds! -- not like beer at
all, and no matter what he tries he won't like it. That
being said, try whatever you come across, and remember what
you've tried and what you thought. If it all comes to nought,
so be it, but you'll delight in the small discoveries along
the way, and the big ones will change your life.
|| Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
|| 847-952-9729 ***@rcn.com [NEW!] VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
Phil
2004-11-13 21:46:38 UTC
Post by ßinkmån
Dear alt.beer,
Just signed up tonight to get some advice. I turned 21 in September and,
naturally, persued my newfound legal ability to imbibe drinks of an
alchoholic nature. Unfortunately I am unimpressed so far and I am looking
for help. I've only had a couple of beers and most, I think were microbrews.
A friend of mine had me try what he described as a "wheat" beer and it
didn't go over well. I bought a six-pack of Budweiser recently thinking,
"It's popular, it must be good." I can't take more than three drinks from a
bottle. Is there anyone I can turn to for help without spending hundreds of
dollars finding a beer that doesn't make me gag?
Go to http://www.pubcrawler.com and look up your area. You find some
decent places there.

Phil
=====
visit the New York City Homebrewers Guild website:
http://hbd.org/nychg/
ßinkmån
2004-11-14 05:09:19 UTC
Well another day and another adventure. Hit up a local bar with a couple
of college buddies who came to visit and have now moved on to bigger things.
Both decided that I should try a Guinness. At the risk of sounding like an
ignorant n00b its A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN BUD.
That being said I still had a hard time finishing it. It's the after
taste that keeps getting to me. That last wash of taste as it goes down that
claws back to the recesses of your both of the deep inexorable pit of one's
esophogaus. Still, it wasnt too bad and I think I could learn to like
Guinness some day when I actually have disposable income. One of my friends
suggested I try some cider drinks as he thought I might have better luck
with something sweet.
Anyway, I want to say thanks, guys, for all the help. Along the way I've
discovered what kind of beer I do like and what I should never buy again as
well as a great pub with awesome pitcher and pizza specials and a wonderful
atmosphere. Thanks again everyone!

Binkman
Russ Perry Jr
2004-11-14 18:31:29 UTC
Post by ßinkmån
Both decided that I should try a Guinness. At the risk of sounding like
an ignorant n00b its A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN BUD.
That being said I still had a hard time finishing it. It's the after
taste that keeps getting to me.
You might want to try different types of stouts then -- oatmeal stouts
maybe, or a nice sweet stout (try Mackeson Stout or Dragon Stout), or
others like Sheaf Stout or Old Australia Stout. They might fit you
nicely.

I'd also suggest looking into doppelbocks, and possibly brown ales.
Carl Young
2004-11-16 19:02:33 UTC
Or move to England where the beer is the right temperature and we call
Budweiser what it is, lager! You know why lager is served cold? Because it
masks the taste. Same with Bud if you ask me. But, I found some really good
beer when I was over there a couple of years ago. It was in a brewery/bar in
Savannah and it brewed its own beer (name of the place was something to do
with the moon), outstanding. However it was impossible to get a decent beer
and somewhere nice to drink it when we were just out and about. What you
need is pubs (not bars with juke boxes, neon Bud signs and pool tables..
shiver!), real ale (that's going to be a brownish colour by the way : ) @
6%+abv (most of our winter beers are at least that) . ... er no offence
meant, seriously. Plenty of stuff not right in this country, customer
service etc you leave us standing but beer.. get your holiday booked to
Masham North Yorkshire. Small village, Theakstons AND Black Sheep breweries
within half a mile, a dozen pubs, each with a log fire... and a fish and
chip shop : )
notbob
2004-11-16 22:03:21 UTC
Post by Carl Young
need is pubs (not bars with juke boxes, neon Bud signs and pool tables..
6%+abv (most of our winter beers are at least that) . ... er no offence
meant, seriously. Plenty of stuff not right in this country, customer
service etc you leave us standing but beer.
[...]
Post by Carl Young
within half a mile, a dozen pubs, each with a log fire... and a fish and
chip shop : )
I appreciate your point of view, mate, but did you ever consider there's
more to it than just ale vs lager. When I get off a hard days work doing
manual labor in 90-100 deg F heat, I darn sure don't want to drink a nice room
temperature ale. I want to inhale a nice ice cold lager. I've come in
from 12 hrs in the summer heat so dehydrated from sweating all day it was
nothing to inhale two full cans of beer in as many gulps. And I sure as Hell
don't wanna see no log on no fire!! No doubt if I'd spent the day freezing
my tail off in some wet, chilly, job, I'd surely want to warm up to a nice
thick ale to put some viscosity back in my blood.

That's not to say the two can't exist in the same temperate zone. IPA's
were born in the heat of the tropics. But, look where ales dominate. The
rebirth of ales in the US was in the Pacific Northwest ...the wet, dank,
I-ain't-seen-the-sun-since-August Northwest. But, when you're standing over
a smoking BBQ rig on a hot sweltering day, an bucket full of icey lagers of
3-4% abv is gonna get you through the day without putting you belly up in the
bedroom under the air conditioner.

nb
Carl Young
2004-11-16 22:35:22 UTC
Are you trying to torture me? I live in England. We're lucky to see the sun
two days running in the middle of summer let alone see 90 F!.... BBQ, you
are having a laugh!!!! But, I take your point mate. I suppose if we had the
luxury of anything other than this terrible, and it is terrible, British
weather I may fancy a lager as well. Until global warming kicks in (we pray
for that here), I'm going to stick with my nice warming real ale : )

Nice talking to you.
nb
j***@YAH00.com
2004-11-16 22:59:00 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Carl Young
6%+abv
an bucket full of icey lagers of
Post by notbob
3-4% abv
True to myth, I think you guys got it backwards- most real ale is,
comparatively, low in alcohol aka "session strength" (that's why they
drink it by the Imperial pint) and most "Industrial Light Lager" in the
US has actually gotten higher in alcohol in the last few years- Bud is
now 5%, for instance, tho' in the past it was often listed at 4.82%,
4.66%, etc.

Examples-

Fuller Chiswick 3.8% ABV
Fullers London Pride 4.1 ABV
Gales 4.0 % ABV
Gales HSB 4.8% ABV

Budweiser 5.0% ABV
Miller High Life 5.5% ABV
Coors 5.0% ABV
Pabst 5.0% ABV

Now, if you're looking for a lower
alcohol lager with more flavor than the US ILL's,
there's:
Pilsner Urquel 4.3% ABV
Jever 4.9% ABV

Source-
For UK beers-
Brewers' website

For US beers-
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories2.php
DonShockleyYCM
2004-11-16 22:54:16 UTC
Plenty of stuff not right in this country, customer
service etc you leave us standing but beer.. get your holiday booked to
Masham North Yorkshire. Small village, Theakstons AND Black Sheep breweries
within half a mile, a dozen pubs, each with a log fire... and a fish and
chip shop : )

Yes, plenty not right here. Having tried 100's of brands, (living in Vegas), I
always come back to my good ol' Bud Light. Your 'holiday' sounds wonderful
however!
DOS
http://donshockley.com/DrWalters.htm
Russ Perry Jr
2004-11-17 01:54:29 UTC
Having tried 100's of brands, (living in Vegas), I always come
back to my good ol' Bud Light.
No offense, but you've obviously tried the wrong "100s of brands"
if you even think about Bud Light any more except as an example
of bad decisions you used to make.
Joris Pattyn
2004-11-17 11:46:06 UTC
Post by Carl Young
[...]
Allow me to disagree - seriously.
First. "Lager" - in fact a German word, means maturing, after brewing,
leaving the beer its time to develop full flavours by natural means.
As such, Bud is anything but a "lager". It's a bottom-fermented -
cylindro-conical would be more accurate, though unpronouncable - force-bred
pale beer, made in the shortest measurable interval of time.
Second. "Masks the taste". Of those beechwood chips, I presume? There's
nothing to mask. I've had mineral waters with more stamina than "Bud".
Third. I'll be the last to disdain the English pub as a true institution of
life, but I still have to visit the first British pub with more than 5 cask
ales, where at least one of them was off - seriously infected by too slow
consumption. I've been once in the US, and found myself in a pub with about
50 taps, including casks, and NONE was aged prematurely. Furthermore, the
number of pubs in Brittain with EGN (TV, disco, playmachines) is ever
increasing.
And last but not least, service??? In a British pub?
Not even when it's NOT closing time for a change.

Jorisslightlycynicalby experience.
j***@YAH00.com
2004-11-17 13:09:48 UTC
Post by Joris Pattyn
I've been once in the US, and found myself in a pub with about
50 taps, including casks, and NONE was aged prematurely.
Damn, that musta been one long night...<g>

I don't know, those mega-multi-tap places usually scare me with concerns
about freshness. I come across a lot of bad draft beer in places with
"only" 10 beers. I've been in places with 20 or 30 or 50 beers on tap,
on a weekend night, with 10 or 20 people in the place and, for me, the
math just don't add up for a turnover that ensures fresh beer from every
tap (especially when half the bar is drinking Bud or Coors Light out of
bottles...).

There's a place I came across in the pine barrens of NJ with 30+ beers
on tap, usually 3 cars in the parking lot and many of the beers I've had
were "off". (It's on the way home from a market I go to, so, yeah, I
keep trying...<g>). One day I stop in, the same guy who's ALWAY there
is behind the bar and I figured I'll try a new approach with, "Hmmm...I
don't know what to have today. What have you tapped recently?"

"Oh, I don't know, I haven't worked in a few days...it's all fresh."

Ummm...rancid flat Hop Devil!
Carl Young
2004-11-17 21:51:33 UTC
Joris,

Unfortunately you are right about British pubs. More and more are going with
Sky Sport BIG screen TVs. Even some of the older better pubs. It's a real
shame. There are still places to go and plenty of them but its a downward
spiral. I suppose that in the USA as well as the UK there are landlords (bar
owners?) who are in it for the money and some that are in it for the love of
it. Derby has a pub called The Flowerpot. Wooden floors, food you see cooked
by two lovely friendly women who look like your mom, and around 30 ever
changing beers and ciders, most of them straight out of the barrel, propped
up behind the bar where you can see the beer being poured into your glass.
Nice. One of two of what used to be excellent pubs here in Derby. The
second, The Silkmill was fantastic when I moved here five years ago.
Brilliant food, great atmosphere and outstanding beer. Now it just has
outstanding beer plus a big screen and the local youth. I just stopped going
in there a couple of years ago. As for opening hours, yes, 11pm close for
pubs mostly, even in the cities. Some close from 3pm to 6pm and others like
my local don't open at all some lunch times. There is talk of 24 hour
opening here but do we really want it.....? F*&ing right : )

Regards,

Carl
Joris Pattyn
2004-11-18 12:35:05 UTC
Post by Carl Young
[...]
Maybe I should have a look in Derby before the last one's gone too. ;^}
Hey! I've got a niece living there, IIRC!

Cheers, Joris
DonShockleyYCM
2004-11-18 17:04:59 UTC
Post by Carl Young
Some close from 3pm to 6pm and others like
my local don't open at all some lunch times. There is talk of 24 hour
opening here but do we really want it.....? F*&ing right : )
Amen to that. For you, I hope the talk fulfills. Me, in Vegas, I have access
24/7/365 & 1/4 ~ Hell yea, that's what I'm talking, Ha
Denny Conn
2004-11-18 21:29:06 UTC
Post by Carl Young
[...]
Don't paint all lagers with the same brush...there are some fantastic
lagers out there. Of course, Bud isn't one of them, but open your mind
and look around.

--
Life begins at 60 - 1.060, that is.

Reply to denny_at_projectoneaudio_dot_com