BeerAdvocate.com Becomes the Largest Beer Community in the World
b***@gmail.com
2007-03-16 21:47:27 UTC
http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/703

BeerAdvocate.com Becomes the Largest Beer Community in the World

A Powerful Voice for Beer Consumers

BOSTON, MA (March 16, 2007) - BeerAdvocate.com celebrates 100,000
website members this week, making the grassroots network of beer
enthusiasts and industry professionals the largest of its kind in the
world.

"We're honored to be surrounded by such a large group of people who
appreciate beer as much as we do," said Todd Alström, co-founder of
BeerAdvocate.

"This is a major milestone for beer," added brother and co-founder,
Jason Alström. "When we started over 10 years ago, few people were
using the Internet for beer, let alone using our website. Today, we're
a powerful voice for beer consumers, thanks to the dedication,
passion, and support of our users. Cheers to them!"

BeerAdvocate.com offers its users an invaluable resource, including
the ability to: discuss beer-related topics, search and review beers &
places, find beer events, create local BeerAdvocate member gatherings,
learn about beer styles and how to serve them, read the latest beer
news, and become part of like-minded community who share a passion for
learning more about beer. Membership is free.

Nearly 90% of its users hail from the United States, 3.2% from Canada,
1.3% from the United Kingdom, 1% from Australia, and the remainder
from 188 different countries. Current page impressions exceed 5
million each month.

Throughout 2007, the Alström Bros are preparing to launch several
viral marketing campaigns to raise awareness for beer. "We can always
do more for the industry and its image," explained Todd Alström, "and
that's what being a BeerAdvocate is all about."

About BeerAdvocate
BeerAdvocate is a global, grassroots network, powered by an
independent community of beer enthusiasts and industry professionals
who are dedicated to supporting and promoting beer. BeerAdvocate.com
was founded in 1996 by brothers Jason & Todd Alström, who now host 3
beer festivals a year in Boston and recently launched the nation's
only monthly beer magazine dedicated to advocating beer through a
unique exploration of beer style, culture, and respect. Plans to open
their own brewery in the Boston area are also in the works.

http://beeradvocate.com

Respect Beer.

###
John S.
###
Phil
2007-03-17 04:34:39 UTC
Post by John S.
How did you determine that website is the largest beer community in
the world.
His brother told him.

Phil
Dave Witzel
2007-03-17 06:01:55 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
BOSTON, MA (March 16, 2007) - BeerAdvocate.com celebrates
100,000 website members this week, making the grassroots network
of beer enthusiasts and industry professionals the largest of
its kind in the world.
What, #2 is 99,999 members? Besides, it's hardly 100,000 members
when two-thirds of them haven't visited in 2007.
Post by b***@gmail.com
"This is a major milestone for beer," added brother and
co-founder, Jason Alström. "When we started over 10 years ago,
few people were using the Internet for beer, let alone using our
website.
You didn't even buy your domain name until May 2000. Maybe that's
the reason?
Post by b***@gmail.com
Throughout 2007, the Alström Bros are preparing to launch
several viral marketing campaigns to raise awareness for beer.
Newsgroup spam, inbox spam... maybe some lite-brites around Boston?
Post by b***@gmail.com
"We can always do more for the industry and its image,"
explained Todd Alström, "and that's what being a BeerAdvocate is
all about."
Yes, your lose-friends-and-alienate-people image is exactly what
the industry needs. Add in your kind, well-spoken, classy wife as
the face of BeerAdvocate, and that's a fantastic package!

Relax, and have a beer!

Witzel
CurtMudgeon
2007-03-17 10:28:57 UTC
Post by Dave Witzel
Besides, it's hardly 100,000 members
when two-thirds of them haven't visited in 2007.
Take a random look at any state's members under "Community>User Stats" on
the left side of the home page. Go to "last" and scroll up. Almost half
of the "members" sign up on one date and never return after that. Many
more last only a week to a month.
Yeah Right
Dave Witzel
2007-03-18 02:51:46 UTC
Post by Yeah Right
Problem is with Beer Advocate is that they only think that over
hopped monsters are good beer. They wouldn't know a good beer if
it bit them in the ass.
That's mostly the users to blame. If the Goat Brothers decree that
this or that beer is XTREEEEME!!!1!, they usually score it highly
regardless of what a wreck it really is. That said, there are plenty
of FFG hop bombs in existence.

The "community", if you can call it that, is a shell of its former
self since the Goats started deleting posts and threads left and
right (more than ever before) that criticized them and the Bride of
Todd, while deleting the accounts of most of the more intelligent and
beer-savvy members for writing "beermail" that dared complain about
the pathetic BoT.

Pretty much all that's left is a bunch of sycophants and beer
tickers. The site could have been so much more.
Yeah Right
Dave Witzel
2007-03-18 20:56:25 UTC
Post by Yeah Right
Post by Dave Witzel
Post by Yeah Right
Problem is with Beer Advocate is that they only think that
over hopped monsters are good beer. They wouldn't know a good
beer if it bit them in the ass.
That's mostly the users to blame. If the Goat Brothers decree
that this or that beer is XTREEEEME!!!1!, they usually score it
highly regardless of what a wreck it really is. That said,
there are plenty of FFG hop bombs in existence.
Then it's time to challenge them in mass and take the site back.
Hop bombs have their place, but it is no indication of a good
beer.
"Take the site back"? Not particularly something I care to do. I
don't see the point in calling anything produced from that site
news". Ignore them and, considering their track record with
executing their grandiose plans, they're bound to disappear from
the radar sooner rather than later.

Witzel
sleurB kciN
2007-03-28 08:13:18 UTC
Your just jealos that their in your local paper giggy!
Alan
2007-04-10 08:10:56 UTC
Post by Yeah Right
Problem is with Beer Advocate is that they only think that over hopped
monsters are good beer. They wouldn't know a good beer if it bit them in the
ass."
I just have to say that I haven't found this to be true at all. From
reading the magazine and the website, it seems to me that they seem to
appreciate a fairly wide variety of beer. As someone who has only
relatively recently begun to appreciate how many great beers there are
and who is just now getting serious about learning about beer, I can
say that their website is a great help. While trying a new (to me)
beer, I can check the site and see what others have said about it, the
correct glassware to use with it, and a brief description of that
particular type of beer.

I know that there are other places to learn about beer, and I'll make
use of those. But I don't see any reason for all the negativity
toward Beer Advocate; they've been a big help to me, and I thank them
for that.

PaulK
2007-03-19 04:15:44 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
It's one thing to put a spin on statistics and another to put out
completely false information. The Goat Bros have outdone themselves
this time with complete bullshit information that doesn't represent a
shred of reality. It's a shame they think their audience is as stupid
as they are.